Does this scenario sound familiar to you?
You are preparing for an important presentation. You have your PowerPoint ready, you have your brochures ready, you have your important points lined up, in short, you are ready to ‘leave them dead’ but that’s what you think:
“What am I going to wear that transmits my power, strength and experience?” You ask this question because you KNOW it is important. What you wear and what you look like are important to your success. You don’t have to like this fact, but you do have to work with it.
So what will you wear? Here are some tips to help you win with your presentation.
- Using solid colors is better than prints. The solids are the most professional and sophisticated. Large prints can be distracting.
- High color contrast is more interesting than monochrome. Make sure to wear flattering colors.
- Wear quality polished shoes. People love to look at them.
- Have a flattering hairstyle that doesn’t need constant fidgeting to stay in place. WITHOUT Hair-Acting ™
- Ladies, wear the appropriate makeup. Lighting (or lack thereof) can be harsh and unflattering on bare skin. Men, a little powder will help with glowing skin.
- Choose well-made clothes over cheaper ones. You want to be perceived as the professional and successful expert that you are.
- Don’t wear clothes that are too tight, too low-cut, or poorly fitting, thinking that no one will notice.
- No large dangling earrings or jewelry that jingles, creaks, or explodes. You don’t want the audience to notice anything outrageous you are wearing and not YOU and your message.
- Your wardrobe should match the mood of the presentation you are trying to create. Formal business presentation uses neutral, conservative attracts, lively monthly professional group adds some color
- Check your appearance from ALL angles
- Wrinkled clothes are a BIG no-no
- Do not think that the stain on your tie or skirt will not be noticeable
- Do not forget to keep your hands well. They are often a focal point in your presentations.
- Always wear a big smile! Your best accessory