Finding the right workers’ compensation attorney that is right for you takes time. You should look for one who has experience in personal injury, specifically, workers’ compensation cases. If you were injured on the job, the first thing to do is report the accident to your employer and then start looking for an attorney.
Once you have reported the accident, you must be seen by a doctor, either in the hospital or in a doctor’s office. You must inform the treating physician that you were injured on the job so that it is documented. Your doctor can establish a treatment plan, depending on the extent of your injury.
Successful Search for a Workers’ Compensation Attorney:
The following guide should help you find the right Massachusetts workers’ compensation attorney:
1. Start by calling the Massachusetts Bar Association’s toll-free number and ask them for an attorney who specializes in Workers’ Compensation in your area.
2. You should then follow up by searching the names provided online to determine if they focus their practice on workers’ compensation. If you are not satisfied with the results, you can try conducting your own search online.
After reviewing the area of expertise of attorneys provided by your online search, the next question to consider is whether you should hire an attorney from a small or large firm.
3. There are pros and cons to hiring a small or large law firm. It is a personal choice or preference as to the size of the firm with which you would feel most comfortable. Many reviews state that it is more preferable to hire an attorney from a small firm, as they may have more time available to spend on your case. You may also consider asking your family, friends, or coworkers for a recommendation, although you should confirm that the attorney’s practice specializes in workers’ compensation.
4. It will take some time to go through the various lawyer websites. You should also consider looking beyond the first page of your online search. It is very expensive to appear on the first page, which means that most of the names will be from very large law firms, as they have a large advertising budget. They will most likely turn your case over to one of the less experienced attorneys to handle it.
Therefore, considering a company on the second or third page can give you more individualized attention with more experience.
5. The last step would be to schedule a free consultation, either by phone or in person, to see if they are right for you and your case. Then you will have enough information to make an informed decision.
Investing the time to find the right Massachusetts Workers’ Compensation Attorney will pay off in the long run and can make a difference in the outcome of your case.